Wednesday, September 16, 2009

From Migraines to Romans

I haven't posted in 3 whole days!! I bet no one even noticed! That evil vice grip called a migraine hit me on Sunday afternoon and just loosened it's hold yesterday. I swear it seems like there is some sort of large bee buzzing around the back of my head...and the pain, oh the pain. Light is forbidden and sound should be non existent to live through one of these things! And just when I think my pain is more than I can bear...I get a phone call.

My mom calls and casually mentions that my cousin's wife is in the hospital. No big deal, right? Well, I have to set the stage for you...my cousin is mentally handicapped due to a condition in utero/infancy. His precious wife is even more mentally handicapped than him. They are one of the most precious, sweet, loving couples you will ever meet. Obviously they never had children, and for the last several years they have lived with his parents, in their basement apartment. Self sufficient, but still somewhat dependant on others. Friday, his wife was admitted to High Point Hospital. Monday she was diagnosed with Ovarian cancer that has metasticized (spelling??) to her lungs. They have given this precious 44 year old woman less than a week to live. My migraine pain left. I suddenly realize, I have no problems. My migraine...uh what migraine? That is nothing in the grand scheme of life, huh?

Easy to ask God why at times like this. I have my theories, but they are just my ponderings. One thing I know for sure, one day I get to stand face to face with my Creator and ask Him why. I can ask Him why this cousin, so precious and childlike? I can ask Him, why my sweet cousin Nathan last year?..a brain tumor took him to be with Jesus at the tender age of 6. "Why wouldn't you let me have more babies?", I think I will ask Him. Some things He reveals to us here on earth, some things won't be revealed until that day when we meet Him face to face. I personallly think I will be flat on my face in awe of Him, so I don't even know if I'll have the presence of mind to ask Him! But I do know that since I have confessed with my mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in my heart that God has raised Him from the dead, that I am saved, so I will stand face to face with Him once day (or prostrate on the floor in front of Him!). Saved from my ugly, deplorable self, from my sins. Romans 10:9 tells me that! Does it save me from hard times?Hard questions? Sickness? Heart ache?? Absolutely not...but scripture also tells me that one day my body will be made new, this time on earth is fleeting, the things of this world are temporary. Both the good and the bad. Embrace both, because the bad times teach you as much as the good times, if not more. A precious friend of mine says this quote all the time..."If God brings me to it, He will see me through it". I like that. A lot. It's very true and very relevant.

So I pray for my cousin, his wife and his family. It's going to be a difficult week for them. It makes me understand that my afflictions here and now, are temporary. So one day, when I get to see my cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents all again, we'll be in those new bodies, we'll be a spiffy looking crowd! And the afflictions of this earth, will be no more...cause I believe in my heart...

1 comment:

  1. It broke my heart when I got the phone message about Denise. She and Ken are really sweet people. I was really shocked to hear about it.
    Love you,
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete