Thursday, September 10, 2009

Revelations of an Eight Year Old's Room

So I didn't attempt a 5:15am wake up call this morning...I chose not to suffer through the rolling hills we call my neighborhood (I swear they are the leftovers of when the Appalachian mountains were formed). I did however, tackle the mountain of 'stuff' in Gracie's room today. If you have a little girl in your possession, you know they don't get rid of anything. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Anyone out there feel my pain? I promise you, my daughter still treasures a hair ribbon from when she was two and barely had hair. Get rid of a barbie? Are you kidding me? She COMPLETES the collection of 52 Barbies. Throw out the drawing she made while waiting on her chicken tenders and fries to come one night about 3 years ago at Chili's? Nuh uh! So I waited until she was at school today and I tackled. Man I should have put some pads on first, cause it hurt. Soooo much stuff. So much trash...and trying to decide what to keep, what she would miss, what she would never know was gone...

So an hour later and 4 (as in FOUR) trash bags later and 3 bins of yard sale stuff later...I was done. I kept thinking...I am so sick of seeing Barbie shoes. Polly pocket clothes. Littlest Pet shop whatever it is they have. Magazines, random lonely socks, Nerds (the candy), you name it, it's on her floor. And the guest room...all of her "stuff" spills over into the guest room. Arrrrgh!

But then, it hits me. In two more years...she won't like Barbie. She won't have the tiny little Polly Pocket shoes anymore. No more little drawings, cute paintings, fun toys. She'll be almost 11 then. On to iPods, clothes, computers and more. No more sweet hair ribbons or tiny little pair (cause her butt is tiny) little random pair of underwear to find under her bed. Nope, she'll be half grown then. A little sassier. Less apt to want to be seen with Mom. Gosh, bet I won't even be Mommy anymore then either. I'll be Mom. Yikes!! I need to learn to enjoy the here and now...enjoy her "stuff", her junk, her toys. Enjoy her sweet little hugs, our cuddle time. Oh, I know we'll still have our sweet Gracie, but things will change. Since I can't have more children, I have become more and more aware of the little things that I didn't take time to stop and enjoy when she was little. I know I can't get it back...so I choose now to enjoy all that she does, says, is. To enjoy watching her grow into the beautiful, God loving, Christ centered young woman our Creator intends her to be. I choose to rejoice in the gift of each day I have with her.

So, I choose to enjoy her stuff...leave it in the floor a little longer. Growing up can wait...but when I can no longer see the floor, I guess I'll have to tackle it again, and remind myself to enjoy this time :)

2 comments:

  1. I remember those days well. When it got to the point that I could no longer kick my way into K's room I would clean it while she was at school. First thing into her room she would head to the trash can, pulling stuff back out. That's when I would have to put my foot down. For years she would bring up that I sold her little blue coat and some other clothes at a yard sale. Never mind the fact that she got new ones to replace the ones that she had out grown. Enjoy these times, because you are right they will be gone before you know it.
    Enjoying your blog,
    love you, Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! That's EXACTLY what Gracie does! She went through the trash bags last night ;) And she constantly reminds me when I've thrown something away that she liked or sold something...funny!

    ReplyDelete