Monday, October 5, 2009

You Graduated WHEN???

We went to the big town of Edenton, North Carolina this past weekend. My hubby and I attended his 20th High School reunion...yepper, 20, TWO-ZERO, TWEN-TY years. For the record, I am NOWHERE near my 20 year mark....ha! Edenton is the epitomy of small town USA. It was founded in 1658...and has progressed a LITTLE bit since then. They have a Roses now. And peanuts. Other than that it's a small, historical, sleepy little town nestled in a crook of the Albemarle Sound...and I love it. I've often thought, wow, what a great place to raise a family, to live in and retire in. The same folks that live there now will be the same folks that are living there and dying there in another 50 years, not much turnover quite frankly!

But back to the real reason I'm blogging tonight...the reunion. It's funny...the few folks I've polled in the last week or two all say the same thing..."My 10 year reunion was in a bar type setting..everyone was still into drinking and having a good time...my 20 year reunion was at the country club so everyone could brag about what they had done with their lives so far...my 30th was at a dinner club, so everyone could get reacquainted and talk about their kids..." you see how the priorties progressed?? My hubby's reunion was none of the bragging stuff...you see, the vast majority of folks still lived around there, knew what each other did for a living - be it good, bad or ugly - and no one CARED!! It was great...everyone just wanted to get reacquainted and see what the other folks had been doing for the last 20 years. No scoreboard, no bragging rights.

So on the four hour ride home, I had some time to think...I've been a Born Again Believer for 20 years now...October 15, 1989 is the day I was reborn. I wonder, if I sat down with God and talked and looked back over the last twenty years, what I would have to be proud of for Him. What have I done with my Christian life? Have I utilized every opportunity I've had to witness to others? Have I won as many non believers to Christ as I could have? Have I been the Christian sister to others that I should have been? I can honestly say those first few years (I was 11 when I started my walk with Christ), I did not have my mind fully wrapped around His desire and will for me (heck, does that ever fully happen??). But I did try to be set apart and not "try" and "do" all the things kids my age did. I wanted to be a good witness...I had some great youth leaders that encouraged me in that respect. I wonder...I just wonder...if God is even remotely pleased with my walk in the last twenty years...I know of a year here and there that I was totally out of His will...I still loved God and desired His will, but sometimes those little things in life that try to drag you down succeeded (ya know, the evil one) and I didn't make the choice to stay strong in God. Those were for sure learning experiences! I know now, no matter what comes my way, I am in it wholly and totally for God, I am strong enough in God to make that choice. He gives me that strength!

All that being said...I have to admit, I want to recommit myself to God and His purposes and will in the next 20 years. I want to please Him and make Him proud. I yearn to win souls...I desire with all of my heart and His to disciple...I want my next twenty years to be totally souled out for Him...that's what I want my classmates to see at MY twentieth reunion...and that's what I want the whole world to see, for that matter!

No comments:

Post a Comment