Saturday, February 13, 2010

All in a Saturday Afternoon...

I went to the Little Miss Thomasville Pageant today...well, to be more specific it was something long and drawn out like, Outstanding Little Miss of Thomasville, but what's the diff, right? No, I didn't go for grins and giggles, I went to see my niece and my cousin's little girl compete. So picture the TLC show, Toddlers and Tiara's and then add in two perfectly normal, minimally made up, beautiful little girls and you've got this pageant down. It was great...in a way. My niece is three...so her greatest accomplishment to date is the fact that she is fully potty trained (no, she still doesn't sleep through the night, so that one is out!), so that's what her mommy listed on her application...as her greatest accomplishment...and that's what was read when she crossed the stage during introductions. It was hilarious...I mean, tears rolling down my face. Besides the fact that she tripped as she walked out onto the stage (credit the brand spanking new prissy pink Chuck Taylors that mommy wisely bought a size too big so she can grow into them...this kid grows like the Jolly Green Giant, so she goes through shoes really quickly!), the whole thing went off without a hitch. Bella went on to win the competition in her division...I like to think it's because of her beauty, her poise and grace and her eloquent answer to the nail biting question segment (what is your favorite song? Twinkle twinkle little star...Why is that your favorite song? a'cause it's what we sing when we go night night), but possibly she won because she was the only kid in her division. That being said, her proud aunt knows she would have beat any competition hands down...my beautiful, smart, well spoken, lively, highly imaginative niece? Hands down!

My cousin's little girl (whom I had the pleasure of being with when she was born!!) blew me away in the preteen category. The most beautiful young woman out there by far...and I say this because she just was, no prejudice, promise!...and in a normal, non made up sort of way. Wise beyond her years and beautiful in a way that no one can recreate through any amount of make up, fake eyelashes or hairpieces, our Hannah is amazing. What a cool kid. In a division where most of the girls sang songs about things way beyond their years, dressed in outfits more befitting of a 35 year old, Hannah stood out in her clogging shoes and rockin' outfit. Very age appropriate, very Hannah. And then in the question and answer session...who is your idol? Her mama...for being a single mom, working her butt off to give Hannah a great life (not her exact words, but pretty darn close). Not a fabricated answer that anyone fed to her...one from her heart, she knocked that one out of the park too!

In the end, she got 1st runner up...yeah, the kid with the hairpieces won...but that's okay. Today my favorite pageant contestants showed their stuff...stayed true to themselves, and true to who God made them to be. know their mama's are as proud as their aunt...pageant stuff is fun! Maybe I should be in one...you know, Mrs. Chubby Mama's Over 30...think I could pull that one off...now to figure out my talent...

No comments:

Post a Comment