Thursday, February 4, 2010

Have you noticed that the coverage of the earthquake in Haiti has diminished greatly? I know a lot of folks are happy about that, it was depressing to watch! It makes your heart hurt, but makes you thankful all at the same time and between the two you start to feel guilty about how great we really have it. Sigh. Or at least that's the way I feel. It takes me back a few years ago....

On August 29, 2005 we all watched as one the largest, most powerful Hurricanes in the history of the United States (or at least since the records started to be kept!!) roared it's way into the Gulf coast region...leaving behind death and devastation. The ensuing chaos and confusion unfolded before us on national television. It was hard to watch. Our own citizens, our brothers and sisters, were suffering. So many died, so many were displaced. As I watched the first 24 -48 hours of the devastation God began to speak to my heart. When I saw the people standing on top of random bridge waiting to be rescued because they were surrounded by water, I was in fear for them. When I saw a reporter snag a haggard looking black man that was clinging to a little girl, I began to weep as I heard him, in the most heart broken despairing voice I'd ever heard, tell his story of how he just couldn't hold onto his wife and little boy any longer in the flood waters and they were swept away...I weep now as I think about it. A passion welled up inside of me for these people. My heart was hurting for them. In that instant God, inaudibly, spoke to me and told me to go help these people. Regardless of why they were still there when the Hurricane hit, regardless of their financial state, regardless of their beliefs and morals, go help. So I did. Several times. I cannot begin to explain the blessing of serving hungry people meals, of slipping them $10 so they could buy gas, of standing on a roof in the hot Mississippi sun, fixing the holes, and at the same time fixing the holes in these folks hearts. All the while, Mississippi and New Orleans were gradually being forgotten by the general public. Their lives had gone back to normal, so hadn't the folks in the Gulf Coast region?? No, sorry, they hadn't . Two years later it was still hard to find a Taco Bell with more than 2 or 3 people working!!

The reason I say these things is this...don't forget Haiti. Don't forget the people there. Once again, God has told me to go. When? I don't know. Whenever the door opens. I have passport in hand and the blessings of my family and employer to go. That doesn't mean everyone has to go. That doesn' t mean you have to donate money, food, or anything for that matter. Pray for them. Pray for their lives. Pray for their souls. Pray for their safety. Pray for their eternity. Just pray. Someone has to intercede for these people. Pat Robertson was criticized for insinuating that the sins of these people's fathers had brought on this tragedy. Maybe. Maybe not. The voodoo and witchcraft that is so prevalent in the Gulf area of Louisiana originates from Haiti...the creole way originates from there. Over 200 years ago Haiti became a pagan nation. God has every right to chastise in those situations. Regardless...they are creations of God, no different that you and I... He desires for us to gain a passion for these people's heart...will you if don't already have that passion? That being said...He desires for us to have a passion for all hearts...your neighbor, your spouse, your family, this nation and other nations as well...where do you find your passion?

No comments:

Post a Comment