Sunday, March 7, 2010

I've been home for a couple of days now. Still trying to catch up on sleep! I've had some time to digest and process some of what I experienced. I think, while I was there, it was hard to process. You just dealt with situations and people as it all happened and pushed the emotion of it back until later (except when we got that baby breathing and crying, I cried for sure then!). People keep asking me how my trip was. It's hard to say, it's impossible to put into words. Our experiences were not just limited to hospital experiences. We got to somewhat experience everyday life with the Haitians...through our travels and through our relationships with patients. It's tough. It's overwhelming. It's sad. The spirit of these people is great. They are hard pressed but not in despair. They just keep pushing on. In situations where I think I would crumble, they just keep going. God gives them strength (as I'm sure He would to me to, had it been me in that situation). There is so much to be done, you just can't wrap your mind around it all. Who knows the best place to start? All I know is that I can only do what I can do. God will take care of the rest. Know this...my trip to Haiti was not a choice I made. God called me to it. I am simply a flawed vessel. I just loved my brothers and sisters that were created in the same image I was. What an honor and a privilege to have the opportunity to do that. God's love overwhelms me. I don't know why He chose me to get to do this, but I am so thankful. God is so much bigger than all the problems in Haiti...and I am so humbled that He allowed me to love these people with His love and compassion while I was there. Many folks in Haiti worship the same Jesus that I do...and for that I am thankful and I pray for their strength. Many are consumed by evil...many are caught in between, and for them I pray for Christ to be made real and evident and for their transformation. It just has to start with one, and it can snowball from there. Will I go back? Maybe. But a part of my heart is still in Haiti and will remain there.

No comments:

Post a Comment