Thursday, March 4, 2010

So I'm really bummed, my post didn't come through from last night. I had a great one too. It was our final day at the Community Hospital...we were just to be tying up loose ends, closing down triage, inventory, etc...not so! We ended up helping take out two x-fixes (pins and plates to hold bones together to fuse them before casting). Our ortho docs are great and love to teach, so it was a great learning process. We checked on our malaria/yellow fever lady on the unit and she was doing better...honestly, we didn't know if she would make it on Tuesday when she arrived to us from a nearby village.

The first x-fix we removed was from a man's hips..fun times. Big ol shot of morphine and here we go...that was my contribution, that and dressings. But it was cool to watch. Then myself and another doc went to another patient's room, more morphine and on to the procedure room (a black tarped 6x10 space, just enough room for a couple of people and a massage bed, or procedure table). This time the pins were removed from a leg. This poor guy was pitiful and constantly asked for "anesthesia". Hate to tell ya pal, morphine is it! So to calm his nerves myself and another nurse sang Amazing Grace to him...not sure if we were trying to calm his nerves or make him take his mind off the leg pain and focus on the ear pain from our singing, but I think it helped!

After our morning at the hospital we moved on to a tour of Port Au Prince. Not sure how to put that one into words yet.

I'm going to try to post pics of the baby in the truck I posted about a few days ago...if not tonight, then when I return to the states :)

No comments:

Post a Comment