Monday, March 1, 2010

Sorry...internet was down last night, so here's my latest...will do some more later hopefully!

Sunday was great...we started out a little early with a worship service at 6:30, our bus was a little late. It had returned to the Dominican Republic (the DR, we call it) the day before for maintenance, however it got hung up at the border and the Haitian officials wouldn't let him cross back in. They made him wait until 6am Sunday morning to cross the border, leaving us with no bus until 8am. So we made the most of our time! Worship was wonderful, I love my good ol, unashamed, Bible loving, God worshiping friends.

We loaded the bus finally and, well, it wouldn't start. The battery looked like it had been around for a few years and had seen better days...our lovely new doc that arrived on Saturday fixed it for us and off we went.

The sites we see on the way, well, I'll just have to post pics later. It's amazing. Folks roaming the streets, goats, cows, pigs, you name it, it's out there. Displaying their wares and hanging out. Not really sure what they do, but they are all there. A lot of them don't sleep inside of structures, even if they have a home...they are scared. I can't say that I blame them. We are about 25 kilometers from the epicenter and destruction is bad. We go into Port Au Prince on Wednesday, so I'll blog about that later.

We got to the triage late and jumped right in...only to find out triage is "closed" on Sunday. Well, the chairs were full when we got there. An hour into it a little boy comes in with his daddy. The little boy had gotten his finger caught in a door and part of it was severed. Our new doc to the rescue again...he sutured the finger, we quieted the two year old with a sucker and all was well. Doc says the feeling in his finger should be okay, so that's good. It was nasty!

An hour later, we were hopping busy when young man came in yelling, emergency, emergency, lady in the parking lot having a baby! One nurse grabbed gloves as we ran out the door. Myself and a translator (a necessary in this country!) got there first...the baby had already arrived. It was not good. Mommy was not good. As I climbed into the back of the truck my first thought was, oh crap, not good. I can't do this. We assessed the situation, cut the cord, got baby suctioned (in the most rudimentary way I've ever seen) and got him inside. Mommy was touch and go as was baby for a while, but both were great when we left and Mommy was walking around by the time we left! Neat!

All in all a great day... God is good, He is always faithful and He equips us for what we need. My cousin quoted a statement to me before I left..."God doesn't send those He equips, He equips those He sends" I like that. More later....

No comments:

Post a Comment