Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Made to Crave...Swiss Rolls?

Back in the saddle again! I promised my friends that I am doing a Bible study with that I'd start blogging about my experience. Given the fact that the ol' Dell decided to catch the flu for the last couple of weeks I'm only about 3 weeks late :)

Since we've been doing this for 3 weeks now, I'll give the Reader's Digest condensed version (have any of you EVER known me to be condensed? OH! That's right, that's what I'm trying to accomplish with this study, lol).

Myself, along with several other precious Jesus girls at my church are currently participating in a Bible study on a recently published book, Made to Crave, by Lysa TerKeurst (and YES! I spelled her name right!) Lysa, if you haven't heard of her, is with Proverbs 31 Ministries. She is a sweet soul and I love learning from her. I first heard of her book while listening to KLove one morning. Made to Crave is all about learning to crave Jesus over any other thing - and Lysa's focus is on food. The rave reviews that I read lead me to investigate a little further...prayed about it...and bada bing, we had our study! One of the more affordable ones out there, I might add.

The first week we started the study, I, along with a friend, joined Weight Watchers. I'm thinking...gee, if Jennifer Hudson can do it, so can I right? AND I get extra points based on the new system? Are you kidding me? Well, it takes a little will power and lots of prayer Leslie...neither of which was I prepared for! Two days into it...well, let's just say, I already knew I'd avoid the weigh in the next week. The study itself was fantastic. I never began to think about the fact that my faith factored into my health and nutrition! I mean really, it's just never been my focus. As a woman, wife and mother, my focus is on my family. I pray for my friends and family and church family...I pray for our nation, our President, my church and a revival in this land...I never thought to pray about my food choices.

Week two was a little more indepth as we went from Empowerment to Determination. The author has been on a journey with her health and weight for a while now and she is so encouraging in her writing...you can tell she's poured her soul into this and that she so desires for women to be free from their bondage to food!

Yeah, yeah...I know you all are wondering how the Weight Watchers was going at this point...that little calculator is darn cute and makes a great addition to my junk drawer. The books come in handy for stocking my book shelf too. Oh, I am definitely paying more attention to the foods I am eating and the choices I make...but daily I dissapoint myself and daily I have regrets. But I'm working on it...making choices that aren't for the moment, but for down the road as well. That's the goal I have to keep in mind...and I have to say, I pray for strength more, and I pray for tempation to be held at bay...and I pray for satisfaction in the food I AM eating!

So week three for sure brought it's challenges...as I pray about my food, as I pray over my friends doing this with me, as I pray about having accountability (ya'll got your accountability partners yet??), as I pray for God's guidance and strength...well, darn it, I've started coming under conviction over the food I'm putting into myself. I should've well expected it, but it's not an easy one to get through. Knowing that God cares about my health is fantastic...it's humbling and pleasing...but when He messes with my food, gosh, it's just hard! But I think I'm getting the hang of it!

So today, I went and had a session with a personal trainer. Yeah, you know the type...chiseled, ripped, tofu eating health guy. I looked at the roll coming over the top of my workout pants and sighed a little...okay, here we go. This is what I'm here for, right? I think longingly of my Facebook post from yesterday "I need a Swiss Roll" and imagine what that Swiss Roll tastes like. I know what it looks like, cause that's the roll coming out the top of my pants (or what caused the roll, lol!!) Or foods just like it. So I refocus...determination sets in...I sign up for four more sessions and an initial analysis and brace myself for...the best. God has got such a great plan for me. When I think of what's coming in the next few months and years, I get giddy. This is just the start. I can do all things through Christ who strenthens me...just got to ask for the strength! It won't be easy, but I know it can be done. I figure it this way...the same God that created the earth in 6 days but could've created it in less than 1...can most likely help me get rid of my swiss roll :) My body analysis is on Friday at noon, so I'm sure that will be fun times...and a hilarious blog!

Until then my friends...check out www.lysaterkeurst.com for her latest blog...more tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Leslie, how I can relate to this blog. I pray about my food choices nearly every day, and well, while I often hear that little voice in my head saying "Jen you know you don't need that," I ignore it more than I listen to it. It also doesn't help that I am a dedicated M&M buyer. (Those two M&M guys are just so cute!) A girl's gotta have her chocolate. However, it does sound like I can benefit from this book. I think I'll check the local library and see if I can find it. I know I need all the help I can get. You inspire me to try harder. Thanks. I needed that. :)

    ReplyDelete